I’ve been doing this questionaire each year as a year in review, so why not do it again? This just happens to be the first time over on this website. The old ones were on my former blog. But old is old, here’s the new:
1) What did you do in 2011 that you’d never done before?
- Started a podcast
- Took a job in social media marketing
- Bought season tickets to a pro sport (Even if it was just Arena Football)
- Appeared on a network TV show
2) Did you keep your New Year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I normally don’t do resolutions. I’m thinking of a 2012 one to write/blog more. But let’s make it unofficial. Less pressure that way.
3) Did anyone close to you give birth?
I think everyone I know on Facebook had a baby in 2011. They’re all doing it again in 2012. But none of my family did.
4) Did anyone close to you die?
Lost one of my former students. Heartbreaking.
5) What countries did you visit?
Texas. It’s like a whole other country.
6) What would you like to have in 2012 that you lacked in 2011?
- K-State getting a Big XII championship (preferably men’s basketball and/or football)
- A surplus of money
- Dates that don’t ultimately end in disaster
- Bowl tickets
7) What date(s) from 2011 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
I can’t think of a specific date that mattered this year. Lots of events that were fun, important, or meaningful, but no dates that will live in infamy or glory.
8 ) What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Starting a podcast, gaining some listeners, and even getting a sponsorship.
9) Did you suffer illness or injury?
I don’t remember being sick. Crap. That means I’m probably due for my every other year flu.
10) What was the best thing you bought?
I buy them every year, but I’ll say my K-State football tickets. 2011 was a really fun season.
11) Whose behavior merited celebration?
Cardinal Steve. You wouldn’t expect to see progress in a 42 year old, blind, autistic guy, but no suicidal hospitalizations, and he seems to become more thoughtful all the time.
12) Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Most of the people I follow on Twitter. Sick people on Twitter. Sick and awesome.
13) Where did most of your money go?
This list is the same every year:
Paying off debt
14) What did you get really, really, really excited about?
- K-State football & basketball
- Learning just how great beer can be
- My job change
15) What song will always remind you of 2011?
“All I Do is Win”
16) Compared to this time last year, are you:
Wiser? Yes, but probably not in any healthy ways.
Healthier? Probably so. I’ve been working out, so there’s that.
Richer? Making less and no more work on the side. Guess that’s a no.
17) What do you wish you’d done more of?
Blogging. Really. I feel like when I’m writing more, I’m thinking and learning more.
18) What do you wish you’d done less of?
Wasting time, money, and emotions on people who didn’t really want it.
19) How did you spend Christmas?
In Indy with the fam, eating prime rib and making my nephew cry.
20) Did you fall in love in 2011?
Now that’s just funny. Or not funny at all.
21) What was your favorite blog post that you wrote?
I didn’t write many, but I guess I’d say this one.
22) What were your favorite TV programs?
- Raising Hope
- Parks & Rec
- Breaking Bad (catching up late)
- Mad Men (also behind)
23) Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
Tim Tebow. But that’s not real hate, just sports hate.
24) What was the best book you read?
This was the year of fiction for me. It had been a long time since I had read any fiction. I’m 2 of 3 books done with the Millennium series and loving it, but for the best ones I’ll say the Hunger Games series.
25) What was your greatest musical discovery?
How about a re-discovery? I saw Tom Petty live and it totally renewed my appreciation of him. I had no idea how good of a show he would put on, and had forgotten how good his stuff is.
26) What did you want and get?
- Various rare beers
- A new tv for my home office
27) What did you want and not get?
- A K-State Final Four
- A winning lottery ticket
28) What was your favorite film of this year?
The Muppets. Oh yeah. I went there.
29) What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 34. Watched K-State blow a game to Oklahoma State, and then hung out at The Foundry for awhile.
30) Which celebrity/public figure did you like the most?
Bill freaking Snyder. I’m appreciating him even more as a coach, and more as a person than I have in the past… and that’s saying a lot.
31) How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2011?
Umm, don’t buy anything unless you have to?
32) What kept you sane?
This question is making some big assumptions that aren’t necessarily true.
33) Who did you miss?
I now have a better job with fantastic people I work with… but I miss many of the people at my old job, too.
34) Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2011.
Never believe anything a woman says or does. It’ll change before the next “date.”
35) What did you gain this year?
My very own dot com.
36) What did you lose this year?
My house church. That was a bummer. I’d really like to get a new one going.
37) Who were the most interesting new people you met?
I had several tweet-ups and met a lot of people from Twitter in person. That was a lot of fun, and a lot of really cool people.
38) Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
“You’re a 3 decker sour kraut and toad stool sandwich
With arsenic sauce!” -from “You’re a Mean One, Mr. Grinch”