It’s been awhile since I’ve done a Friday Happy Hour. I keep busier in my current job than I did in my old one, so I can’t find the time in the same way. Come to think of it, it’s been a long time since I’ve done anything on my blog. Maybe I should start it up again, eh? At any rate, as usual, the questions are from Mental Floss, the answers are mine…
1. We had our company holiday party last night. Nobody embarrassed themselves too much — or if they did, they hid it — and everyone was in at a good time this morning. So I’m going to have to look to you guys for stories. What’s your best (or worst) office holiday party experience?
I haven’t worked many jobs that have actually had holiday parties. I’ll have to go with the holiday party plan in my last job, where it meant they’d give us lunch, we’d do a white elephant, but all while staying at our desks working… because God forbid there ever be a moment where someone stopped working.
2. If, for reasons not entirely clear, you had to listen to one Christmas song on repeat all December, what would it be?
I can’t think of one that would make me not go insane, so I’d go for the most wonderfully insane possible and do Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer. You can say there’s no such thing as santa, but as for me and Grandpa, we believe.
3. “Margaritaville” has a “lost verse” that Jimmy Buffett sometimes adds back in. (He found it, apparently.)
Old men in tank tops,
Cruisin’ the gift shops,
Checkin’ out chiquitas, down by the shore
They dream about weight loss,
Wish they could be their own boss
Those three-day vacations can be (or “become”) such a bore
What other lost verses do you know? Either stuff legitimately cut from a song early on, or extra verses occasionally added in.
I always think of the Garth Brooks ones. Everyone knows the extra verse for Friends in Low Places, but I also dig the extra one for The Thunder Rolls. Even if I am a pacifist.
4. If you could rename one kitchen utensil, what would it be? What would you call it?
The cork screw. It is now known as the dream maker.
5. Do you know of any unique charities that deserve more attention? Either unique in how they raise money or in what that money’s for.
I’m a fan of Laundry Love. Look it up in your area.